Premium users are the only ones who can download songs from Spotify, and those songs can only be accessed through the Spotify app. Now, however, you can directly download Spotify songs to local storage using a new open-source app available for Android. This allows you to play the songs on any music player, and it also works for Spotify users who are not Premium subscribers (free users).
How to Save Music and Playlists from Spotify
Prior to considering the option to download songs to local storage, premium users can download songs directly from Spotify. Not only is downloading directly from Spotify simple, but it also compensates the artists whose songs and albums you have downloaded. If all you want is offline listening, I strongly suggest sticking with the native option.
- Initially, open the song you wish to download.
- Tap the menu with three dots next to the song.
- The three-dot menu is located in the upper right corner of the player.
- It will open a menu where the Download option can be located.
- Tap it to initiate the download.
Download Playlists from the Spotify app with the Spotify Playlist Downloader.
Open the playlist that you wish to download and toggle the Download option on. The playlist will now begin downloading and will also automatically download any songs added to it in the future.
Once downloaded, songs and playlists can be located in the Your Library section of Spotify. They are accessible and playable even when offline.
How to Save Spotify Songs to Android Local Storage
Downloading music to local storage has its advantages. It works for non-premium users to download songs and listen offline, you can use your preferred music player, and you can even access your downloaded songs if you decide to stop paying for premium.
To download Songs and Playlists from Spotify to local storage:
- Download the F-droid app (App Store for open source apps) by visiting f-droid.org and tapping the Download F-Droid button in your browser.
- Now, tap the downloaded APK file; a pop-up prompt will appear. Tap Install to set up the F-droid application.
- If it displays Settings instead of Install, your browser does not have permission to install applications. Simply tap Settings and toggle the Allow from this source switch on. You can now return to the previous step and install the F-droid application as instructed.
- Launch the F-droid application and tap the search button at the bottom. Then, locate the SpotiFlyer application and tap the Install button.
- Once downloaded, a prompt will appear; tap Settings and enable the Allow from this source toggle. This will allow the F-droid app to install applications on your device.
- Return to the Fdroid application and tap Install to install the SpotiFlyer application.
- Launch the installed SpotiFlyer app and grant storage permission to save the songs and background running permission to download songs in the background.
- Now, launch Spotify and navigate to the track or playlist you wish to download. Then, tap the three-dot menu located next to the song or playlist.
- Select the Share option followed by the Copy link option from the menu.
- Open the SpotiFlyer app, paste the copied link, and tap the Search button.
- This will search for the song or playlist and offer the download option. If it is a playlist, the Download All button can be used to download all of the songs on the playlist.
With the aid of the SpotiFlyer app, you can download songs or playlists on songs to your local storage with relative ease.
Using the SpotiFlyer app, you can download an unlimited number of songs and playlists directly to your device’s local storage. Additionally, you can also download albums. The app does a good job of downloading not only the mp3 files but also the album art, the artist, the album to which it belongs, etc. However, it does not download the accompanying lyrics. Remember that when you download a playlist, it will only download the songs contained within it. Therefore, you must manually create playlists in your music player app.
The only disadvantage is that the app is only available in the F-Droid store for Android. Therefore, it cannot be used to download music and playlists on other platforms.