Google Maps is so much more than just a way to get from A to B. It can tell you the routes and times of public transportation and let you customize your trip based on how you plan to get there. You can also put a pin in a place and save it to your profile or show it to your friends.
Dropping a pin can help you find a place that doesn’t have an address or isn’t near any roads. It’s also helpful when Google sometimes gets the location wrong. Here’s how to drop a pin on Android, iOS, and desktop versions of Google Maps.
How to put a Pin on Google Maps for Android
To place a marker on Google Maps with an Android device:
- Start the app for Google Maps.
- Either type in an address or move the map around until you find the place you want.
- Press the screen for a long time to drop a pin.
- At the bottom of the screen, the address or location will appear.
- Tap on the location to share it, save it, label it, or get directions.
These pins are a great way to remember where you are on the app. There are also a lot of other tricks for Google Maps on Android that will change the way you get around.
How to put a Pin on Google Maps for iOS
How to drop a pin on Google Maps on iOS is pretty similar to how to do it on Android.
- Start the app for Google Maps.
- Type in an address or move around the map until you find the right place to put the pin.
- Press and hold on to the screen where you want to drop the pin.
- At the bottom of the screen, the address or coordinates will appear.
- Touch the location to get more information, directions, labels, etc.
How to Put a Pin on Google Maps from Your Computer
A lot of people don’t know that you can also drop a pin on Google Maps from a desktop computer.
The steps are easy to follow:
- Go to the main page of Google Maps.
- Find where you want to put the pin you just dropped, and then left-click on that exact spot.
- A small grey pin will show up on the map, and a box will appear at the bottom of the screen with more information.
- If you click on the information box, a new panel will show up on the left side of the screen with more information and some other choices.
How to Get the Most Out of a Lost Pin
Now, let’s look at what you can do after you’ve dropped the pin and are happy with where it is.
Whether you’re using a mobile or desktop operating system, the exact options are a little bit different. We’ll go through each one in turn.
Use a dropped pin to find out where to go
As we said at the beginning, the most useful thing about Google Maps is probably that it can give directions. If you don’t know the address of a certain place, dropped pins are an important part of the process.
You can use the dropped pin as either a starting point or an ending point. There’s no way to put down two dropped pins and then figure out which way to go between them. Instead, you’ll have to drop one pin, write down the address or coordinates, and then drop a second pin as your starting point or final destination.
The map will show how to get from one place to another by air, on foot, by bike, and even by plane (with prices!).
Save a Pin Location is available on mobile and desktop
The location of a pin can be saved in a list that is linked to your Google account. Then you can use it on all of your devices.
By default, you can choose from three lists: Favorites, Want to go, and Starred. By going to Your Places in the app’s main menu, you can add more lists and delete the ones that are already there. Each list can be shared with specific other users or made public. You can also make group lists that anyone can add pins to. These are useful for vacations and day trips.
Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do I use Google Maps to put pins?
One of Google Maps’ most fundamental features is the ability to put pins. Zoom in on the app’s mobile version to find your chosen location. The marking will be added if you tap and hold on to the screen.
Q2. What is the best way to send a pin location?
When you drop a pin, the location’s title will appear at the bottom of your screen. When you click this, all of the information about the location will be presented. You can share the location’s coordinates by tapping on ‘Share Place’.
Leave a Reply