Double hung windows are gaining popularity not only for balcony structures: they have become much more widely used, since modern technologies allow them to be airtight. There is a wide variety of sliding systems. They are perfect for those places where it is not possible to fully use the swing window. A feature of the window is high-quality thermal insulation, when the sash is lowered, it is not inferior to an ordinary swing window, and when opened, it saves space.
Double hung vs single hung windows differ in the ability to open in the same plane in which they are installed. The sash can be moved up and down, and some structures can also be equipped with a swing-out mechanism that allows the sash to be set in ventilation mode. The ventilation slot can be adjusted to the desired width. It is worth paying attention to the fact that their weight is quite significant, which means that if you are going to mount such windows on the balcony, you need to find out whether its slab can withstand the mass.
What is a double hung window?
Traditionally, this is not a solid glass unit, but several rectangular or square inserts. It is clear that initially such small windows, as part of the overall system, were wooden and in fact were separate glass. However, now, when double hung windows are usually made of plastic, decorative crossbars are used. Advantages of such windows are:
- Classic, attractive, stylish appearance.
- The vertical-lifting design of windows, like all sliding models, significantly saves space, therefore, a windows double hung will allow you to place flower pots with flowers or decor on the windowsill, without the need to clean it when opening the sashes.
- The slots between the sashes of the double hung windows are reliably protected by a sealant, and the fittings are protected by special inserts, which excludes the possibility of blowing.
- Thanks to such windows, you will be able to ventilate the room in any weather, because the sashes will not open and close, slamming in the draft.
- It is worth noting that the sliding windows protect the house or apartment from burglary from the outside, because the hardware closes the sash inside, excluding the possibility of opening it from the outside. In addition, modern alarm sensors or a metal frame are a new word in the issue of safety.
- Small windows are often equipped with a tilt-opening mechanism, which means that it is convenient to wash the outside of the glasses and frames.
Double hung windows vs single hung differ little in appearance, so you will not have to worry about drastic changes in the interior. In order for the window to be hermetically closed, the following opening method was invented: the sash turns with a handle, like in a bus, and leaves the plane in which it is installed, thus finding itself on top of the frame, after which it can be moved along the guide in the desired direction.