Boom cards are interactive, self-evaluating digital exercises! They are housed on the Boom platform, which enables instructors to produce or acquire digital exercises and distribute them to their students. A slide deck is a common term for a collection of slides. A set of task cards and a slide deck are highly comparable. Only these task cards are completed digitally and without the use of paper.
How to Use Boom Cards?
Boom Cards is an interactive educational platform that provides digital task cards for learning purposes. These cards can be used by teachers, parents, or students to engage in various educational activities. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use Boom Cards:
- Sign up and log in: Visit the Boom Learning website (boomlearning.com) and create an account if you don’t already have one. Once you have an account, log in using your credentials.
- Explore the library: After logging in, you’ll be directed to the Boom Learning platform. Take some time to explore the library of available Boom Cards. You can search for specific topics or browse through different categories to find the cards that align with your educational needs.
- Choose a Boom Card deck: Once you’ve found a deck that interests you, click on it to open its details page. Read the description, check the preview, and ensure it matches your requirements.
- Get the deck: To obtain the Boom Card deck, click on the “Add to Library” or “Get Started” button, depending on the specific deck page. Some decks may be free, while others may require a purchase.
- Assign the deck: After acquiring the Boom Card deck, you can assign it to your students or children. You have several options for assigning the deck:
- Fast Play: If you want your students to access the cards without tracking their progress, choose the “Fast Play” option. This is suitable for quick practice or review sessions.
- Assign: To assign the cards with progress tracking, choose the “Assign” option. You can select a specific class or individual students and set a due date.
- With a Learning Management System (LMS): If you use a learning management system like Google Classroom or Canvas, you can integrate it with Boom Learning and assign the cards through your LMS.
- Monitor progress: Once the students start working on the assigned deck, you can track their progress and performance. Boom Learning provides detailed reports and data on each student’s performance, allowing you to identify areas that need improvement.
- Customize or create your own decks (optional): If you want to personalize the content or create your own Boom Card decks, you can use the Boom Card Editor available on the Boom Learning platform. This feature allows you to add your own content, images, audio, and more to create customized learning experiences.
- Explore additional features: Boom Learning offers various additional features, such as grading options, self-paced play, printable resources, and more. Take the time to explore these features and utilize them according to your educational needs.
Remember that Boom Cards require an internet connection, and students need access to devices such as computers, tablets, or smartphones to interact with the cards effectively. By following these steps, you can effectively use Boom Cards as part of your educational activities, whether you’re a teacher, parent, or student.
Advantages of Boom Cards
Boom Cards are an excellent teaching tool for primary school students. The advantages comprise:
- They have excellent student engagement.
- Students receive prompt feedback.
- Easily distinguishable (assign various decks or conceal cards in a specific deck)
- No preparation is required! Just delegate and leave.
- Absence of printing and paper
- They are simple to use at home or in the classroom.
- The majority of decks provide audio directions to promote independence.
4 Ways to Use Boom Cards in the Physical Classroom
- Interactive Whiteboard or Projector: Connect a computer or tablet to an interactive whiteboard or projector in your classroom. Display Boom Cards on the large screen and use them as interactive learning activities during whole-class instruction. You can control the cards while students participate and answer questions orally or using individual response systems.
- Learning Stations or Centers: Set up learning stations or centers in your classroom where students can rotate through different activities. Create a dedicated station with tablets or computers where students can access Boom Cards related to specific topics or skills. Assign different decks to each station, and students can work independently or collaboratively, engaging in interactive tasks and practicing skills.
- Small Group Instruction: Use Boom Cards during small group instruction to provide targeted practice or intervention. Create customized decks that address specific learning objectives or cater to the needs of individual students. Use tablets or computers with the Boom Cards app installed or share individual devices among small groups. Monitor student progress and provide immediate feedback and support.
- Homework or Independent Practice: Assign Boom Cards as homework or independent practice activities for students to complete outside of class. Provide students with the necessary instructions, access codes, or links to the assigned decks. They can access the cards on their own devices at home and engage in interactive practice aligned with the curriculum. You can track their progress and use the data to inform your future instruction.
How to Give Students Boom Cards
Boom Cards can be given to pupils in two different ways. You can set up student accounts and give them access to specific decks. This will enable you to keep track of their progress and maintain records of it. You can send your pupils a fast play link if you don’t want them to log in. This enables people to play without login into Boom Cards in a web browser. This has the drawback of not saving a record of pupil progress.
Boom Cards in the Classroom: Useful Techniques
Boom Cards can be used in the classroom and online learning in various ways. My preferred methods for utilizing Boom Cards include the following:
- Morning Shift
- Separate Practise
- Whole-group modeling
- Full-Group Activities
- Activities for Early Finishers
On TeachersPayTeachers, are Boom Cards available to buy?
Yes! Boom Cards are available on TeachersPayTeachers. Using Boom Cards obtained from TeachersPayTeachers:
- Visit TeachersPayTeachers to buy Boom Card decks or packages.
- A PDF will be sent to you for download. Open the PDF after downloading it.
- A link to the Boom Cards deck or bundle will be included in the PDF. To add the deck to your Boom Cards library, click the link (you might first need to register or establish an account).
- These slideshows are permanently stored in your Boom Learning account!
The best thing is that new decks will automatically be added to your Boom library if you purchase a growing package.
How much does using Boom cost?
Boom is a free service. However, a subscription account is quite reasonably priced and gives you access to the following:
- Obtain statistics on student performance and activity.
- It is simple to give kids several decks to work on.
- Create a class with all the student logins.
Why Boom Cards Are Great?
Easy to distinguish
Students may be given various decks. Additionally, you can alter decks in different ways. You can decide whether you want students to see the correct answer after giving up on a card, specify how many cards from each deck you want them to view every play and more. You can even conceal specific slides that you don’t want to utilize. *Note: To use these settings, students must be logged in.
How simple Boom Learning enables producers to integrate audio is another crucial aspect. Throughout the lessons, many decks provide spoken advice and direction! Perfect for students who are working independently or via distant learning!
When it comes to interactivity, they are likewise outstanding. Draggable parts are now exceedingly simple to place where they belong. No need to double click, and no concern over unintentional component resizing like in Google Slides.
Boom Cards distinguish from the competition because they may provide students with immediate feedback on their responses. This not only holds people accountable while working alone, but it also dramatically increases the effectiveness of the exercises!
You can get a paid account that monitors student development for a very affordable price. The cards are automatically graded on every slide in the deck, allowing you to see how each kid performed. You’ll save so much time by doing this.
Boom Cards is a versatile and interactive educational platform that offers digital task cards for learning purposes. Whether you’re a teacher, parent, or student, Boom Cards can be a valuable resource to enhance instruction, engage learners, and track progress. By following the steps outlined in the earlier response, you can easily explore, obtain, and assign Boom Card decks that align with your educational goals.
Boom Cards can be used in various settings, including physical classrooms. You can display the cards on interactive whiteboards or projectors for whole-class instruction, set up learning stations or centers where students can access and interact with the cards, use them during small group instruction for targeted practice, or assign them as homework or independent practice activities. These different approaches allow for flexibility and adaptability in integrating Boom Cards into your teaching practices.
With features like progress tracking, detailed reports, and customization options, Boom Learning provides valuable insights into student performance, enabling you to identify areas of strength and areas that need improvement. This data can inform your instructional decisions and help tailor learning experiences to meet individual student needs.
Boom Cards offer a wide range of subjects and topics, catering to various grade levels and curriculum areas. Additionally, the platform allows educators to create their own customized decks using the Boom Card Editor, providing opportunities for personalization and creativity.
By leveraging technology and incorporating Boom Cards into your teaching toolkit, you can make learning more interactive, engaging, and efficient for your students. Whether in a digital or physical classroom, Boom Cards can serve as a valuable resource for educators and learners alike.
Is using the Boom Learning website required?
You must use the Boom Learning website, yes. You can do this to store your decks and obtain links so you may provide them to your pupils. To utilize the decks, your students must access the Boom Learning website. However, you can distribute Boom Cards on other platforms like Google Classroom, Seesaw, etc., by using the FastPin or HyperPlay URLs.
Do my students need to create an account with Boom Learning?
They do not require a Boom account if you merely utilize FastPins to distribute decks to your students. You can give them a FastPin link to click on so they can play the game. Students will need an account to access these HyperPlay sites to track student progress data.
Can Boom Cards be printed?
Boom Cards can be printed in a few easy steps, yes. Find the deck you want to print in your Boom collection. Print can be chosen by clicking the “Action” dropdown arrow.
When students play, do the Boom Cards randomly shuffle?
Boom Cards are distributed randomly when connected over a FastPin or HyperPlay link. Students can thus finish the deck more than once, and the cards will be rearranged each time.
Does Kindergarten appear in the titles of your Boom Card decks?
No, Kindergarten isn’t mentioned in my Boom Card decks. You can use them for different grade levels to accommodate their learning demands. Students won’t notice that bundles are the only decks that mention Kindergarten. I sincerely hope this comprehensive guide to Boom Cards has been helpful and inspired you to use them with your kids. Test them out with your pupils if you so want.